Riding a Harley Davidson is an experience unlike any other, and owning a V-Twin Cam engine only adds to the thrill. To keep your engine running at its best, it’s essential to use the right oil. With so many options on the market, it can be challenging to choose the best one for your motorcycle. In this article, we’ll review the top 10 best oils for Harley Davidson V-Twin Cam 20W-50 engines and help you make an informed decision.
- Why 20W-50 Oil?
- Synthetic vs. Conventional Oil
- Top 10 Oils for Harley Davidson V-Twin Cam 20W-50
- Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Oil
- Oil Change Instructions for Twin Cam
- Frequently Asked Questions
Your Harley Davidson V-Twin Cam engine needs the right oil to perform at its best and last for a long time. The 20W-50 oil is recommended by Harley Davidson for its V-Twin Cam engines, and using the best quality oil can significantly impact your engine’s performance, efficiency, and longevity. To help you make the right choice, we have compiled a list of the top 10 best oils for Harley Davidson V-Twin Cam 20W-50 engines.
Why 20W-50 Oil?
20W-50 oil is a multigrade oil that provides excellent protection and performance across a wide range of temperatures. The “20W” in the name represents its viscosity at low temperatures, while the “50” indicates its viscosity at high temperatures. This combination ensures that the oil flows smoothly and provides adequate protection against wear, friction, and oxidation in both cold and hot weather conditions.
Harley Davidson recommends using 20W-50 oil in its V-Twin Cam engines because it offers the right balance between protection and performance. It ensures that the engine remains cool, reduces friction, and provides excellent wear protection, making it the ideal choice for this type of engine.
Synthetic vs. Conventional Oil
When it comes to choosing the best oil for your V-Twin Cam engine, you have two main options: synthetic and conventional oils. Both types have their advantages and disadvantages, and it’s essential to understand the differences before making a decision.
Synthetic oil is a laboratory-created lubricant that offers superior performance compared to conventional oils. It has a higher viscosity index, lower friction, and a lower Noack value, which means it provides better protection against wear, friction, and oxidation. Synthetic oil also performs well in extreme temperatures, ensuring that your engine remains cool even in hot weather conditions.
The main disadvantage of synthetic oil is its higher cost compared to conventional oils. However, considering the benefits it offers in terms of engine protection and performance, many riders find it to be a worthwhile investment.
Conventional oil is a petroleum-based lubricant that has been used in engines for many years. While it offers adequate protection and performance, it doesn’t perform as well as synthetic oil in extreme temperatures and may not provide the same level of wear protection.
Conventional oil is usually cheaper than synthetic oil, making it an attractive option for riders on a budget. However, it’s essential to weigh the cost savings against the potential risks to your engine’s performance and longevity.
Top 10 Oils for Harley Davidson V-Twin Cam 20W-50
- Best Overall: AMSOIL Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 20W-50
- With its excellent wear protection, heat resistance, and rust prevention, AMSOIL Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 20W-50 is our top pick for the best oil for Harley Davidson V-Twin Cam engines. The wear scar test results show that it outperforms other oils on the market, making it an excellent investment for your motorcycle.
- Otrā vieta: Mobil 1 96936 20W-50 V-Twin sintētiskā motociklu motoreļļa
- Mobil 1 96936 20W-50 V-Twin Synthetic Motorcycle Motor Oil offers excellent performance, engine protection, and cleanliness. While its wear scar test results are slightly below AMSOIL, it’s still a reliable choice for your V-Twin Cam engine.
- Labākais budžetu klasē: Castrol 06116 POWER1 V-TWIN 4T 20W-50
- For riders on a budget, Castrol 06116 POWER1 V-TWIN 4T 20W-50 is a cost-effective option that doesn’t compromise on quality or performance. It provides excellent protection for your engine, clutch, and gearbox, making it a solid choice for your V-Twin Cam engine.
- Other Consideration: Motul 7100 4T Synthetic Ester Motor Oil – 20W50
- Motul 7100 4T Synthetic Ester Motor Oil – 20W50 is another popular choice among Harley Davidson riders. It offers excellent wear protection, a proprietary high-pressure formula for the gearbox, and a low sulfur and phosphorus formula for a cleaner environment.
- Citi apsvērumi ir: Harley-Davidson SYN3 pilnībā sintētiska motociklu eļļa
- Harley-Davidson SYN3 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil is the official engine oil for Harley Davidson Twin Cam engines. While its wear scar test results are not as impressive as other options on this list, it’s still a viable choice if you prefer sticking with the Harley-Davidson brand.
- Red Line 42504 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil
- Red Line 42504 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil is another highly-regarded option for V-Twin Cam engines. It offers excellent wear protection, heat resistance, and smooth clutch performance, making it a reliable choice for your motorcycle.
- Lucas Oil 10702-PK6 High-Performance Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil
- Lucas Oil 10702-PK6 High-Performance Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil is designed to provide superior protection and performance for your V-Twin Cam engine. It offers excellent wear protection, oxidation resistance, and improved fuel economy, making it a solid choice for your motorcycle.
- Bel-Ray V-Twin Synthetic Engine Oil 20W-50
- Bel-Ray V-Twin Synthetic Engine Oil 20W-50 is a high-quality synthetic oil that provides excellent protection and performance for your V-Twin Cam engine. Its wear protection, oxidation resistance, and smooth clutch performance make it a reliable choice for your motorcycle.
- Maxima PRO PLUS+ Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Engine Oil
- Maxima PRO PLUS+ Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Engine Oil is a high-performance synthetic oil that offers excellent wear protection, heat resistance, and smooth clutch performance. It’s a suitable option for riders looking for a reliable and high-quality oil for their V-Twin Cam engine.
- Royal Purple Max-Cycle 20W-50 High-Performance Synthetic Motorcycle Engine Oil
- Royal Purple Max-Cycle 20W-50 High-Performance Synthetic Motorcycle Engine Oil is another top-rated oil for V-Twin Cam engines. It provides excellent wear protection, heat resistance, and smooth clutch performance, making it a reliable choice for your motorcycle.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Oil
When selecting the best oil for your Harley Davidson V-Twin Cam engine, consider the following factors:
- Viskozitāte: Choose an oil with the recommended 20W-50 viscosity rating to ensure optimal engine performance and protection.
- Synthetic vs. Conventional: Consider whether you prefer synthetic or conventional oil, keeping in mind the benefits and drawbacks of each type.
- Nodiluma aizsardzība: Look for oils with excellent wear protection, as evidenced by wear scar test results.
- Heat Resistance: Choose an oil that can withstand extreme temperatures to keep your engine cool and protected.
- Smooth Clutch Performance: Opt for oils that provide smooth clutch performance and reduce friction.
- Rust Prevention: Select an oil that offers excellent rust prevention to protect your engine.
Oil Change Instructions for Twin Cam
Here are some general oil change instructions for Twin Cam engines:
- Loosen the oil cap slightly to prevent vacuum creation during draining.
- Locate the two plugs beneath the floorboard; remove the right-side plug using a quarter-inch ball and Allen wrench.
- Clean the plug, replace the rubber o-ring, and check for debris.
- Remove the oil filter and allow the oil to drain.
- Smear the rubber o-ring of the new filter and hand-tighten it.
- Replace the oil plug and consider changing the transmission fluid and primary oil.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is synthetic oil better for Harley Davidson V-Twin Cam engines? Synthetic oil generally offers superior performance and protection compared to conventional oils, making it a preferred choice for many V-Twin Cam engine owners.
- How often should I change the oil in my Harley Davidson V-Twin Cam engine? Harley Davidson recommends changing the engine oil every 5,000 miles or at least once a year, depending on your riding habits and conditions.
Choosing the best oil for your Harley Davidson V-Twin Cam 20W-50 engine is crucial for maintaining optimal engine performance and longevity. By considering factors such as viscosity, synthetic vs. conventional oil, wear protection, heat resistance, and rust prevention, you can make an informed decision and select the best oil for your motorcycle. Our top 10 list of best oils for Harley Davidson V-Twin Cam 20W-50 engines provides a great starting point for making your choice.